Frequently Asked Question

A speech-language pathologist (SLP), sometimes called a speech therapist, is a professional healthcare provider who has a Master's degree in Speech-Language Pathology. SLPs have extensive training in diagnosing and treating receptive and expressive language delays, speech sound disorders, pragmatics, literacy, feeding and swallowing disorders, and cognitive-linguistic disorders. They are trained to evaluate and treat across the lifespan.

JTC's speech-language pathologists are state licensed and maintain a Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) through the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA). Each SLP may specialize in specific areas, based off of additional training and experience, such as Autism, literacy, feeding, or hearing loss. Please inquire with us to see how we can support your child.

A comprehensive evaluation may be needed if your child is not meeting, or is slowly meeting, speech and language milestones. They may also be at risk for a speech/language disorder due to the presence of another condition such as hearing loss, autism, or if there is a family history of speech and language disorders. Inquiries and concerns usually come from parents, teachers, or pediatricians. Though anyone in a child's life may be a source of referral.

Historically, John Tracy Center has been the leading diagnostic and education center for children with hearing loss. We continue to be specialists at the forefront of that field, but have expanded our speech and language services department to open doors to children with various communication needs.

At John Tracy Center, we want to remove as many obstacles to healthcare access for our families. We offer virtual services for those that cannot regularly make in-person sessions. Recent studies have shown us that teletherapy is as effective as in-person therapy.

We currently accept Anthem Blue Cross, Blue Shield of California, Medi-Cal, and CCS. We are regularly working on new insurance contacts, so please contact the billing department for more information.

Please read the following important disclaimer.

You may call our administrative assistant at 213-863-9956 to inquire about an appointment. You may be directed to get a referral from your primary care physician. You can also click on the "Request an Appointment" button to complete a short form. We will then call you back within 2 business days to follow up.